30 days of thankfulness | day one

Back on my old blog, I spent a couple of Novembers blogging almost every day, listing the things I was thankful for. I love this tradition! But if it wasn't for this sweet friend's reminder yesterday, I would have completely forgotten to start this year's list- life has just been so insanely busy around here lately!

I am not sure if I am going to be able to keep this up every single day, but I am going to try! Some days I might have a long list of thankfuls, other days I might just list one thing. And to keep it super simple, I am probably going to mostly use instagram pictures from my phone. 

I am so thankful for my Tuesday/Thursday mornings + time at my favorite coffee shop with the Lord.

Twice a week my kids are at school in the mornings- Audrey goes to a homeschool enrichment center through our local public school district and Elliot goes to preschool. They love their classes and I can't help but admit that I love the few hours to myself. Sometimes I use the time to run errands or visit with friends, but the majority of the time I use it to spend time in my Bible, sipping coffee, and journaling. 

Last spring we enrolled our kids in preschool. One of these days I hope to get around to blogging about why we chose preschool for that season. And why we are choosing to mostly homeschool again now. 

But for today, I will just share that I feel like one of the number one reasons God had us put the kids in preschool is so that I could have that time with Him. I am a stay-at-home mama. I have been for over six years now. I run a small photography business on the side. I love the Lord with all my heart, but to be honest it is a daily struggle to make time to spend with Him. 

For three months last spring I had two whole mornings a week with the Lord. And it completely rocked my world. I have been a Christian for a long time. I was involved with missions (mostly through YWAM), I went to Bible college, etc. etc. But I have honestly never felt as close to the God as I did during those months this last spring when I studied His Word in such an in-depth way. I used this study by Kay Arthur to inductively study the book of 1 John and it was seriously amazing. And I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Lord was preparing my heart for all that we would go through as a family this last summer. My heart broke, but I have been able to trust God completely through this valley because I know Him and I know that He is good. And that knowledge came through spending time with Him and in His Word. I will always look back on last spring and those mornings as such a gift from God. I felt so completely pursued by Him.

Fast-forward three months. After a long, emotionally exhausting summer, once again, God has gifted me with time. I know that it will not always be this way. I will not always have the luxury of two whole mornings a week, just me + God, in fact, it will most likely only be for the next month and a half. So I refuse to feel guilty about it. I am embracing it and soaking it up as much as I can. Right I am studying the book of Philippians (using this study) with a group of dear friends; we are doing the work on our own and meeting one evening a week to discuss it. I am so excited to see all that He has in store for this season.

I am so thankful for the gift of time to spend studying God's Word. 

What are you thankful for today?

8 comments:

  1. Oh Andi, I'm so glad for you-- what a treasure to have that time, and how wise of you to invest it in your relationship with God! I should follow your example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me think, "Amen." I'm thankful for other bloggers who point me to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful for a chance to plan a getaway and to meet up with a blog friend for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Today I am thankful for my Mom's birthday, new jeans, my Scripture class and beautiful weather. I LOVE the composition book behind your Bible. May I ask where you got it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thankful for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Rockwood is the coffee and TIME place...whats not to love and be thankful for there! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you are posting. So very much looking forward to reading your thankfuls. And what a sweet one you have today. Enjoy your "own" time and don't feel guilty for a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post....and that you're not giving in to guilt about having a little alone time with Jesus. He's most important, so time with Him is most important too, right?

    ReplyDelete